Your roof is part of your home’s first line of defense. Protecting your home starts with having a properly installed roof that is maintained well. Your roof is intended to last for decades, sometimes as much as 50 years. To ensure your roof achieves its maximum life potential use these tips to perform a spot check for common roofing problems.
Identifying Potential Roofing Problems:
In each neighborhood there seems that one house is an obvious risk for roof damage. Without knowing anything about roofing you can just spot it–the roof has debris on it from trees such as leaves or pine needles collecting. Other times you might notice the roof has become an obvious repair risk because the roof looks wavy and there are signs of asphalt roof shingles coming up in spots. Most people can spot these signs without being a trained roofer. Here are a few more checks you can perform on your own house.
Common Roofing Problems:
There are certain common roofing problems that are universal to most homes in the U.S.A. The next time you’re on a ladder outside your home see if your home’s roof has signs of these common roofing problems.
1. Tree Branches: look for tree branches toughing the roof.
2. Hail Damage: Check your roof vent for hail damage.
3. Satellite Television Mounts: Does there appear to be damage or potential leakage due to a roof-mounted satellite?
4. Asphalt Shingles Slipping: Check to ensure no shingles are slipping due to improper nail placement.
5. Gutter Installation: Is the gutter properly installed? Look for the potential for water to be able to flow over and potentially damage shingles.
6. Gutter Leaf Guards: If you have gutter leaf guards, check to ensure there is no shingle damage as a result of installation.
7. Chimney Concerns: Ensure you chimney is not missing a cricket or saddle (wood framed structure that diverts water away from the chimney and prevents debris and water collection).
8. Plumbing Boots: ensure your roof’s plumbing boots are not deteriorated.
Check the Attic for Additional Signs of Roofing Problems:
No all roofing problems will be obvious. After you take down the ladder and come down from your roof, you’ll want to ensure you inspect your attic for signs of roof damage. In particular you’ll want to look for water damage. If there are signs of water damage, has it spread to the floors below? If these answer is “yes,” then you’re probably want to obtain a free roof estimate for a roof repair.
Photos of Common Roofing Problems:
KTM Roofing, an Atlanta roofing company, has composed a photo page, with descriptions of roofing problems. Click the link to view pictures of common roofing problems.
– By Phone: Call 678-565-7663
– Online: Submit a request for a free roof estimate