Wood roofs have a natural look and can be found on some of Atlanta’s most beautiful homes. Due to variations in the color, width and thickness of wood shakes, no two shake roofs are alike. At KTM Roofing, we offer wood shakes in cedar, pine and cypress at an affordable price.
– Click to download KTM’s Wood Roof Fact Sheet (pdf)
KTM Roofing Installs Wood Shake Roofs in Atlanta
Is it time for a new roof on your metro Atlanta home? Consider installing a wood shake roof. Wood roofs add a beautiful, natural look to your home.
What is the Difference Between Wood Shakes and Wood Shingles?
When most people think of wood shingles, they are actually visualizing wood shakes. Shakes are typically split on one or both sides, creating a grooved texture. Shakes are thicker than shingles, and most shakes are made from cedar, but can also be made of red wood, pine and pressure treated wood that can last up to 50 years. In contrast, shingles are sawn on both sides and are thinner at the butt than shakes. Most shingles are composed of two or more materials.
Benefits of Wood Shakes:
- Appearance: Wood shakes have an attractive, natural look.
- Insulation: Wood shakes have a higher insulation value than asphalt, laminate or fiberglass, reducing your electricity bill in the winter.
- Cooling: The small openings under the felt rows on which wooden shakes are laid allow your house to breathe, cooling it in the summer.
- Lifespan: Wood shakes coated with water repellent can last 40 years.
- Durability: Wood is wind and impact resistant.
- Environmentally friendly: Wood shakes are not manufactured from materials taken from earth. Wood shakes are also biodegradable and do not fill up landfills at the end of their lifespan.
Considerations for a Wood Roof Owner:
- Upkeep: Keep your roof in the best condition by buying pretreated wood shakes or treating it on a regular basis.
- Fire prevention: Treat your shingles with a fire retardant to prevent fires.
- Natural weathering process: With age, wood shingles become darker, obtaining a more natural look.
Contact us for a free Atlanta roofing estimate today, or call us at 678-565-ROOF (7663).